Franklin Anderson, a native of Ohio, was born in Mt. Sterling in 1844. Like his father, Anderson was an inventor, and is credited with designing improvements to the telegraph. As a young child, Anderson produced sketches and watercolor paintings. By the time he was twenty, he had developed a high degree of skill in sketching and painting. A luminist painter of the Hudson River Valley landscape, which he loved, Anderson resided in Peekskill, New York from the age of eighteen on. Anderson was very shy of public events, but his work received the praise of New York art critics. His works were exhibited at the National Academy of Design and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts between 1861 and 1888, and are to be found in private collections in Peekskill, as well as the Adirondack Museum and the Hudson River Museum. He died in 1891.