MARGUERITE STUBER PEARSON1898-1978
Born in Philadelphia, Pearson attended the Boston Museum Art School, where she worked under William James and Frederick Bosley. She began work as a magazine and newspaper illustrator, but following the success of her first one-man show in 1922, she became a full-time painter. The fact that she was a paraplegic, due to a case of polio, did little to interfere with her art.
She studied figure painting with Edmund C. Tarbell, and landscape painting with Aldro T. Hibbard, who influenced her strongly. In 1941, Pearson moved to Rockport, Massachusetts, where she spent the rest of her life. Her critical acclaim continued throughout her career, and her reputation as a fine teacher and a juror was widely known.
Pearson was a member of the Allied Artists Association, the North Shore Artists Association, and the Philadelphia Artists Association, as well as other similar groups.