Samuel Rose was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, the only child of Dorothy and Charles Rose, a bricklayer and carpenter. Drawing by the age of three, he left Ohio when he was seventeen to enter Boston’s Gammell Atelier. After studying for seventeen years with teacher-painter-historian R. H. Ives Gammell at Boston’s Fenway Studios and in Williamstown, MA, he was considered a unique contemporary Boston School painter. Additionally, he studied with Basil Kalashnifoff in Cleveland, Ohio; Henry Hensche and Robert Douglas Hunter at the Cape Cod School of Art in Provincetown, Massachusetts; and at Kent State University. A student of the Renaissance for thirty years, Rose was highly influence by the work of Raphael, Titian, Ingres, and Maxfield Parrish (from whom he inherited sable brushes). Painting day and night, he perfected classical realism techniques. Considered a consummate draftsman and up-and-coming surrealist, his brushwork was so intricate that it was difficult to tell where one line began and another ended. Recognized for his realistic, witty, surrealistic subjects with skeletons, figure pieces, and still life subjects of fruit and dolls, painted in multi-layers of oscillating colors, each painting has a smooth glass-like surface that is superbly realistic. During the 1970s he began painting Boston-area landscapes including the Boston Commons and the Boston Public Gardens. Rose’s awards include: Halle Brothers Company, Cleveland (1956, 1957, First Place, drawings); The National Academy of Design (Julius Hallgarten Prize, 1968, 143rd Annual); the National Arts Club (Award, 1969); the Cooper School of Art (Portrait Prize, 1959; scholarship); the Cleveland Institute of Art (scholarship, 1958, 1959); the Concord Art Association (1963, 1967,1969 First Prizes); the Copley Society (1963, 1967, 1969, First Place); Jordan Marsh, Boston, (1971, Richard Mitton Medal); the Salmagundi Club, NY (1976 and 1977 awards for portraiture); 8 grants from the Elizabeth T. Greenshields Foundation, Canada (1963-1970); 2 grants, the John F. & Anna Lee Stacey Foundation, New Mexico (1969-1971). He was given one-man exhibitions at the Concord Art Association in Concord, MA (1972, 1975, 1979) and at Pierce Galleries, Inc. of Hingham and Nantucket, MA (1968; 1971; 1974; 1976; 1978; 1980; 1982). He also exhibited with Hammer Galleries in New York City. Rose’s memberships include: the Copley Society, Boston; the Guild of Boston Artists, Boston; the Concord Art Association, Concord, MA; the Salmagundi Club, New York City; the National Arts Club, NYC; the American Artists Professional League and the Berkshire Art Association. For over twenty years, he resided and worked in the Fenway Studios in Boston near his teacher-mentor R.H. Ives Gammell. He is represented in the permanent collections at the Maryhill Museum of Fine Art, Washington; St. Ignaius Church, Washington, D.C.; the Carylwood School, Cleveland, OH; the Brockton Art Center at the Fuller Memorial Museum, Brockton, MA; F. Lee Bailey Collection and the Collection of The Maharaja. Rose died on February 18 2008, in Macedonia, Ohio.